Sunday 24 May 2015

Rhubarb Crumble Recipe



Okay, I need to step my game up again... but I have valid reasons end of term = deadlines and exams. Coming home for the weekend I was a little unprepared regarding what to bake for the blog this week. So finding a blue bag in the fridge destined what to bake this week... in the blue bag was rhubarb. The rhubarb came from my grandparents garden (everyone *awhhh*) and after hearing the amazing 'Crumble song' from Britain's got Talent last week I had to go ahead and make a humble crumble! So this week it is of course 
Rhubarb Crumble!


The lyrics for the crumble song go a little like... 'everybody's good at cooking something, and I'm good at cooking crumble' so you can sing that to yourself and you too will be good at cooking crumble... so get cooking! 

Instagram - fashionablebake

I also added some jumbo oats into the crumble topping to give it some extra crunch and just because I like oats. I apologise for the very poor quality photos, I promise next week I will up my game!



So for a simple, easy and very affordable pud, here is the how to

Ingredients
  • 500g Rhubarb
  • 100g Golden caster sugar
  • 120g Self-raising flour
  • 40g Jumbo oats (optional, or any oats)
  • 50g Light brown soft sugar
  • 70g Butter

Method
  1. Wash and cut the rhubarb into small lengths and add to a pan with the sugar. 
  2. On a low heat stir until the sugar has melted.
  3. Place a lid on the pan and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb has softened but still holding its shape. 
  4. Pour the rhubarb into a medium sized baking dish.
  5. Preheat fan oven to 180 Degrees C.
  6. In a mixing bowl, add the flour and butter and rub together until you get a crumbly mixture. 
  7. Mix in the sugar and oats.
  8. Place on top of the rhubarb and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  9. Serve with your choice or custard, cream or ice cream! (Or on its own) 


No comments:

Post a Comment